January 31, 2007
Salon D, SE2, Town Square
BCIT Burnaby Campus
COUNCIL MEMBERS PRESENT:
Alan Barnard, Karl Boerner, Ray Bremner, Ian Dean, Clarence Diebold, Ted Howard, Yvonne Jack, Derek Knox, Ted Scratchley, Ed Warkentin.
A. CALL TO ORDER
- The meeting was called to order at 12:50.
B. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
- The motion to approve the agenda was seconded and carried.
- APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF THE AGM, November 30, 2005.
BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES:
- The motion to approve the minutes was seconded and carried.
- Alan read out a letter that asked for support for a fund-drive in Kelowna to create affordable accommodation (Hunter House) for people who are in that town for medical reasons, and for their caregiver(s).
F. EXECUTIVE BOARD REPORTS:
- Alan expressed his pleasure of being able to give a report that covers a whole year. He commented on some of his figures and cleared up an apparent discrepancy. A discussion led to the following motion:
That the Executive Council call the AGM early in the year and no later than the end of March.
The motion was seconded and carried.
2. Member Recruitment, Recognition and Support.
3.Communication and Fellowship.
4.Benefits and Liaison.
- Chris welcomed the members and thanked the Council Members for their support and help during the year. She thanked Ed Warkentin for the work and research he did on establishing a building for the Association and housing for members, and Ted Marchant for managing the web page. She pointed out that our office is now in Building NE 9, room 150, that the council meetings are held on the Royal Oak Campus in room 140, and that members are invited to the meetings. Finally, she thanked the members for their support during her presidency.
The motion to accept all reports was seconded and carried.
G. PROPOSED AMENDMENTS TO CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS.
There were no proposals.
H. NEW BUSINESS:
Election Of Officers To Executive Council.
- Ted Howard had prepared a list of candidates and looked after the election.
- The candidates were:
|President:||Ed Warkentin|| Ray Bremner|
|Vice-President:||Derek Knox||Ian Dean|
|Treasurer:||Alan Barnard||Clarence Diebold|
|Recording Secretary:||Karl Boerner||Ted Howard|
|Corresponding Secretary:||Alan Barnard||Ted Scratchley|
| || || ||Murray Sharp|
- There were no nominations from the floor.
- The Officers were elected by acclamation.
- Past-President is Christine Barnard.
- Our constitution limits the number of Directors to seven. To avoid a time-consuming election, Alan Barnard mentioned that perhaps a director who had not been very active would like to withdraw. Since there were no withdrawals, Ted Scratchley, who had been active with the Travel Committee and organizing lunches, offered to withdraw his candidacy. After some discussion the offer was accepted and the Directors, with the exception of Ted Scratchley, were elected by acclamation.
H. OTHER BUSINESS:
- Membership Survey
- Alan announced the results of the Membership Interest Survey. He remarked that it was gratifying to have a response of 37% and that we should take the next step and form groups of interest as soon as possible.
- Follow-up on Facilities
- Ed Warkentin related the history of the attempt of the Association to have its own building, the hours spent with the administrators of BCIT and the disappointments and frustrations. He talked about his research concerning other universities and their experiences with building residences for retired instructors on or near campuses. He never lost his sense of humour in spite of much discouraging information.
Ernie Iannacone, expressing the sentiments of all members, thanked the President, the Council Members, and particularly Ed for the work they had done during the year.
- The meeting was adjourned at 14:50.