March 11, 2009
Salon D, SE2, Town Square
BCIT Burnaby Campus
COUNCIL MEMBERS PRESENT:
Margot Allingham, Alan & Chris Barnard, Karl Boerner, Sec., Ray Bremner, Ted Howard, Ted Scratchley, Murray Sharp, Ed Warkentin.
Clarence Diebold, Ted Marchant.
A. CALL TO ORDER
- The meeting was called to order at 12:30.
B. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
- The motion to approve the agenda was seconded and carried.
C. Guest Speaker
- DEREK welcomed the members and introduced DAVID HUNTLEY, professor emeritus, physics, SFU. David's topic was the BC Single Transferable Vote System, recommended by the Citizens' Assembly on Electoral Reform of British Columbia. He pointed out that in the Single-Member Plurality System, generally called first-past-the-post, 42% of the voters in the 2001 BC election were represented by 2 MLAs of 79 in the legislature. He stressed that the system chosen by the Citizens' Assembly allowed for proportional and local representation and greater voter choice than at present. He answered questions and clarified some STV concepts.
D. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF THE AGM, March 12, 2008
- A letter was received from the BCIT Foundation, thanking us for the donation of $ 2000.
F. EXECUTIVE COUNCIL REPORTS:
- Bob explained some details of his Financial Statement.
- Line 4 of the Notes to the Financial Statement should be rewritten for clarification purposes.
2. Member Recruitment, Recognition and Support.
3.Communication and Fellowship.
4.Benefits and Liaison.
- Ted Scratchley reviewed outings and trips of the past year. He explained that for personal reasons he would not continue as chair of the travel committee.
- Derek thanked the Directors and Joyce for their support, also Dr. Wright and BCIT. He mentioned the good work done by Ted Marchant on the Page; the updating of the Constitution, and the donation to the Bursary Fund. He also gave a plug to the course of picture framing, to be offered by Ed Warkentin.
The move to accept all reports was seconded and carried.
G. NEW BUSINESS:
1. ELECTION OF OFFICERS AND THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS.
- Ted Howard presided over the election and had prepared a list of proposed candidates.
|President:||Derek Knox||Margot Allingham|
|Vice-President:||Ted Howard||Chris Barnard|
|Past President:||Ed Warkentin||Ray Bremner|
|Treasurer:||Bob Wagner||Clarence Diebold|
|Recording Secretary:||Karl Boerner||Ted Marchant|
|Corresponding Secretary:||Alan Barnard||Ted Scratchley|
|(The Past President is not an elected Officer)||Murray Sharp|
- There were no nominations from the floor; the candidates were elected by acclamation.
- Derek thanked the members for their support and continued to chair the meeting.
2. College Pension Plan (Benefit Changes)
- John Watson outlined problems that have arisen with the College Pension Fund, referring to its financial status, coverage of dental and extended health, etc. He answered questions and led a discussion on ways and means to let the position of members known. Seconded and carried was the motion:
That the BCITRA write a letter to to the Trustees of the College Pension Plan expressing concerns about proposed changes to benefits; and to ally with other groups facing similar problems.
H. OTHER BUSINESS:
- Following his suggestion that we offer courses, lectures, and presentations to our members, Ed Warkentin explained what he was going to teach in his hands-on course on Picture Framing on Saturday, April 18. All appearances are that he'll have no trouble having enough participants, since he can only take eight.
- Bob explained why the Hazelmere Golf and Country Club was chosen for the Spring Luncheon on April 26.
- Murray is hoping to stage another wine tour , like the excellent one he arranged last year.
- Robert Merriam won $ 43.75 in the fifty-fifty draw, Warren Laine a BITRA jacket.
- The meeting was adjourned at 14:30.