March 14, 2012
Salon A, SE2, Town Square
BCIT Burnaby Campus
COUNCIL MEMBERS PRESENT:
Chris Barnard, Pres., Peter Abel, Alan Barnard, Karl Boerner, Sec., Ted Howard, Derek Knox, Bob Wagner, Ed Warkentin. Charlie Young
A. CALL TO ORDER
- The meeting was called to order at 12:25.
B. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
- The motion to approve the agenda was seconded and carried.
C. UPDATE BY LISA HANSON AND LYNDA STEWART, JOHNSON INC. (MEDOC)
- Lynda was not available; Lisa had brochures handy and had brought a prize for a draw. In a presentation she mentioned house and travel insurance, that airmiles could be won with payments, and that she had new, updated Medoc cards available.
She offered to remain at the meeting to be available for questions.
D.1. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF THE AGM, March 10, 2010
- The motion to approve the minutes was seconded and carried.
2. BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES:
- There was no correspondence
F. EXECUTIVE COUNCIL REPORTS:
- Bob went over his report and explained some expenditures and withdrawals. He also answered questions from the floor.
2. Member Recruitment, Recognition and Support.
- Alan has listed 182 members, of which 45 still need to pay their dues. He seems to mail reminders for ever, and also expressed his disappointment and frustation with members who indicate interest in activities but in the end do not participate.
The report was posted.
3.Communication and Fellowship.
4.Benefits and Liaison.
- Chris welcomed the members and thanked them for their participation. She expressed the appreciation of the Association for the support rendered by the BCIT Administration; praised the work done by Clarence for liaising with Cosco, by Ted Marchant on the Web Page, and by Don and Murray over the years. Peter Abel has offered to represent the Association at the Cosco meetings.
- She emphasized the conveniences and advantages of travelling with Pitmar Tours and highly recommended them to the members.
- After having thanked Joyce for her work in the office, she pointed to the list of candidates that was posted and that contained several blank spaces: she challenged the members to stand for election to the Board.
- Finally she mentioned that the Association is looking forward to move into a new office, and that the Directors have decided to update the Constitution.
The move to accept all reports was seconded and carried.
G. PROPOSED AMENDMENTS TO CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS:
H. ELECTION OF OFFICERS TO THE EXECUTIVE COUNCIL:
Election of Officers to Executive
- Ted Howard had prepared a list of seven Directors who were willing to stand for election.
Since the Board can consist of twelve members (Constitution ), he asked for further nominations. After some cheerful banter and lively encouragement, the following list of candidates was established:
- Peter Abel
- Alan Barnard
- Karl Boerner
- Ted Howard
- Derek Knox
- Bob Wagner
- Ed Warkentin
- Randy Robinson
- Lorina Pelly
- Ron Jackson
- John Soutter
- Barbara Cowen
- Since no other candidates were nominated, Ted closed the election proceedings and declared the candidates elected.
I. OTHER BUSINESS:
- The draw run by Lisa, a Medoc bag, was won by Randy Robinson.
- Alan had BCITRA pins available.
- Chris indicated that the Spring Luncheon will probably be held at Cheers on April 22.
- The meeting was adjourned at 13:20.