March 13, 2013
Salon A, SE2, Town Square
BCIT Burnaby Campus
COUNCIL MEMBERS PRESENT:
Ted Howard, Pres., Peter Abel, Alan Barnard, Chris Barnard, Karl Boerner, Sec., Barbara Cowen, Ron Jackson, Derek Knox, Lorena Pelly, Randy Robinson, Ron Soutter, Bob Wagner, Ed Warkentin
A. CALL TO ORDER
- The meeting was called to order at 12:15.
B. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
- The motion to approve the agenda was seconded and carried after under F, point 6 was erased and the sentence placed in brackets.
C. GUEST SPEAKERS
- Ted introduced Dr. Wright, who had recently retired as President of BCIT.
In his remarks, Dr. Wright stressed that the Institute is busy delivering timely and practical training.
Preparations are being made to celebrate the 50 th anniversary of its existence. A new five-year plan,2013-2018, is in the works, and a long-term educational plan is also is under consideration. The same holds true for a campus, commercial, and residential development plan.
He answered questions from the floor and was thanked by Ted for his support for the Retirees’ Association,and by members for the impressive work he has done for BCIT.
- Chris introduced Marie-Claire Concannon from the BCIT FOUNDATION, who emphasized in her speech the importance of endowments to needy students. So far, the donations of the Retirees’Association has helped 23 deserving students. Marie-Claire mentioned that there is a huge increase in the number ofstudents who need help, and that the FOUNDATION has managed to help 72% of the applicants.
She suggested that a member of the Association should sit on the Advisory Committee for the AnniversaryCelebration.
Marie-Claire remained available for questions.
D.1. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF THE AGM, March 14, 2012
- The motion to approve the Minutes was seconded and carried.
(Clarification: Under 5. President, the full names should be stated: Don Eklof and Murray Sharp.)
2. BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES:
- There was no correspondence
F. EXECUTIVE COUNCIL REPORTS:
1. Treasurer (verbal and posted)
- Randy, who started and is behind the drive of the Association to raise at least $ 5000 for the Foundation, challenged the members to get involved and gave his personal donation to Marie-Claire.
He had prepared a five-page hand-out of Financial Statements; mentioned the paybacks the Association receives from Pitmar Travels and Medoc, and answered questions.
2. Member Recruitment, Recognition and Support (posted)
- Alan has 179 members listed, 118 of them have paid their membership dues.
He discovered that only three members live on Vancouver Island; consequently there is no need to plan a luncheon on the Island.
3.Communication and Fellowship.
4.Benefits and Liaison.
5. President’s Report.
- Ted thanked the BCIT Administration for their support and for the speakers to make themselves available.
- He expressed his appreciation for the work done during the year by the Directors and by Joyce Owen-Reece in our new office, which he invited the members to visit.
- Members were encouraged to stand for election to the Board.
The motion to accept all reports was seconded and carried.
G. PROPOSED AMENDMENTS TO CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS:
- The work on the amendments has been deferred.
Ernie Iannacone stated that it is customary to have the elections as the last item, hence:
I. OTHER BUSINESS:
- Ernie reminded members to keep their parking permit up-to-date.
- Chris pointed out that One Cards had expired.
- Chris indicated that the Spring Luncheon will probably be held at Cheers on April 21, at a price of $23.00.
- Gordon Farrell be the elected representative of the Association on the BCIT 50 th Anniversary Committee was seconded and carried.
H. ELECTION OF OFFICERS TO THE EXECUTIVE COUNCIL:
Election of Officers to Executive
- Derek had prepared the following list of candidates:
- Peter Abel
- Alan Barnard
- Chris Barnard
- Karl Boerner
- Barbara Cowen
- Ron Jackson
- Randy Robinson
- Murray Sharp
- Bob Wagner
- Ed Warkentin
- He received no further nominations from the floor and the candidates were declared elected.
It was stressed that all members are welcome at the Board of Directors’ Meetings.
- The meeting was adjourned at 13:15.