March 13, 2014
Salon A, SE2, Town Square
BCIT Burnaby Campus
COUNCIL MEMBERS PRESENT:
Ted Howard, Pres., Alan Barnard, Chris Barnard, Karl Boerner, Sec., Barbara Cowen, Derek Knox, Randy Robinson, Murray Sharp, Bob Wagner
A. CALL TO ORDER
- The meeting was called to order at 11:20.
B. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
- After erasure of the 6. (Acceptance of above Reports ) under F, the motion to approve the Agenda was seconded and carried.
C. GUEST SPEAKERS
- The President of BCIT, Kathy Kinloch, was unable to attend.
D.1. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF THE AGM, March 12, 2013
- The motion of approval was seconded and carried.
2. BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES:
- Mentioned was a letter from the Foundation thanking for the Bursaries.
F. EXECUTIVE COUNCIL REPORTS:
1. Treasurer (verbal and posted)
- Copies of Randy Robinson's report were available at tables.
- He pointed out that our funds at the Foundation are at $35,000, that the Association has added already $2,000 and is set to add another $2000 this year, aiming to bring the total to $50,000 by the end of 2014. He explained some entries and was available for questions.
2. Member Recruitment, Recognition and Support (posted)
3. Communication and Fellowship.
4. Benefits and Liaison.
5. President’s Report.
- Ted Howard mentioned the preparations for the 50 th Anniversary of BCIT, the commitment to the Endowmnent Fund, the Luncheons held, the tour to Russia, our Web Page, and the advantage of working with Pitmar Tours and Johnson Inc. (Medoc). He expressed his thanks to the BCIT Administration for the support rendered during the year. Ted thanked Alan and Chris Barnard for their work in the Association's office, and Joyce Owen-Reece for doing the typing.
The motion to accept all reports was seconded and carried.
G. PROPOSED AMENDMENTS TO CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS:
- After discussion of the proposed amendments and with some further adjustments thereto, the motion to accept the modified amendments was seconded and carried.
- Mentioned as candidates for Life Membership were Alan and Chris Barnard, Ed Warkentin, and Ernie Iannacone.
H. ELECTION OF OFFICERS TO THE EXECUTIVE COUNCIL:
Election of Officers to Executive
- Derek had prepared the following list of candidates:
- Ted Howard
- Alan Barnard
- Ed Warkentin
- Derek Knox
- Chris Barnard
- Murray Sharp
- Randy Robinson
- Barbara Cowen
- Donna Foster
- Karl Boerner
- Bob Wagner
- Gordon Farrell
- No further nominations occurred and the candidates were declared elected.
I. OTHER BUSINESS:
- Gordon Farrell, the representative of the Association on the 50th Anniversary Advisory Committee, reported on the preparatory work of the Committee. He pointed out that the enormous amount of work that has to be done with regards to advertising, marketing, fund raising, activities, etc., has been delayed at times while the Institute was hiring a new President.
- The meeting was adjourned at 12:15.