March 12, 2015
Salon A, SE2, Town Square
BCIT Burnaby Campus
COUNCIL MEMBERS PRESENT:
Bob Wagner, Pres., Alan Barnard, Chris Barnard, Karl Boerner, Sec., Barbara Cowen, Gordon Farrell, Donna Foster, Derek Knox, Randy Robinson, Murray Sharp, Ted Howard.
A. CALL TO ORDER
- The meeting was called to order at 10:35.
B. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
- The motion to approve the agenda was seconded and carried.
C. GUEST SPEAKERS
- Kathy Kinlock, President of BCIT, had made arrangements to speak to the members at 12:30.
D.1. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF THE AGM HELD ON March 13, 2014
- Alan Barnard mentioned a thank-you note sent by Don Eklof for flowers received.
F. EXECUTIVE COUNCIL REPORTS
1. Treasurer (verbal and posted)
- Randy Robinson made some comments, answered questions, and was praised for a report that was very professionally prepared.
2. Member Recruitment, Recognition and Support (posted)
- Chris Barnard had posted a report and spoke about the voyage to Russia, taken by six members.
- She mentioned A NEW VISION ON AGING, a pamphlet prepared by the Burnaby Seniors' Resources Society.
3. Communication and Fellowship
- Chris Barnard had posted a report.
4. Benefits and Liaison (posted)
- Donna Foster had posted a report but made a point of explaining what COSCO, the Council of Senior Citizens' Organisations, deals with, since she is representing the Association at the COSCO meetings.
5. President’s Report
- Bob Wagner thanked BCIT for their support, the members of the Board of Directors for their work, specifically those who had decided not to stand again and had given considerable time and effort, mentioned Gordon Farrell's involvement with the celebration of BCIT'S 50th Anniversary, the Life Membership Awards, the work with the Foundation, the upcoming Spring Luncheon, and the relationship with PITMAR TOURS and MEDOC.
The motion to accept all reports was seconded and carried.
G. PROPOSED AMENDMENTS TO CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS
- No amendments had been proposed.
H. ELECTION OF OFFICERS TO THE EXECUTIVE COUNCIL
Election of Officers to Executive
- Derek Knox presented a list of candidates consisting of:
- Derek Knox
- Murray Sharp
- Randy Robinson
- Donna Foster
- Karl Boerner
- Bob Wagner
- Gordon Farrell
- Since no further nominations were forthcoming from the assembly, the candidates were declared elected.
- Since seven members constitute a quorum, having only seven could present a problem. After some discussion, Lynda Bennett-Retei offered to assist at Board Meetings.
I. OTHER BUSINESS
- Mentioned were the 50th Anniversary Images and the Time Capsule, also that our website now has a link to the UPDATE.
- Ernie Iannacone made a point of thanking Chris and Alan Barnard for the extraordinary amount of work the two have done for almost two decades for the Association. The assembly expressed their agreement.
- The meeting was adjourned at 11:30.