March 22, 2016
Town Square, Building SE2, Salon D
BCIT Burnaby Campus
COUNCIL MEMBERS PRESENT:
Bob Wagner, Pres., Linda Bennett-Retei, Karl Boerner, Sec., Gordon Farrell, Donna Foster, Derek Knox, Randy Robinson, Murray Sharp.
A. CALL TO ORDER
- The meeting was called to order at 10:30.
B. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
- The motion to approve the agenda was seconded and carried.
C. GUEST SPEAKER(S)
- Bob Wagner stated that they would make their presentation at the end of the meeting.
D.1. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF THE AGM HELD ON March 12, 2015
- The motion of approval was seconded and carried.
2. BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
- Bob Wagner mentioned an information exchange with the Foundation and inquiries from members.
F. EXECUTIVE COUNCIL REPORTS
1. Treasurer (verbal and posted)
- Randy Robinson stressed in his comments the important work the Association is undertaking in raising money for the Foundation to support needy students. The endowment fund stands now at over $53,000.
2. Member Recruitment, Recognition and Support (posted)
- Linda Bennett-Retei pointed out that there is now co-operation between the Association and the Human Resources Department with regards to retiring staff members.
- The Association has 209 members, according to Randy Robinson.
3. Communication and Fellowship (posted)
- Linda Bennett-Retei is busy organizing luncheons, dinners, and helping out with seminars.
4. Benefits and Liaison (posted)
- Donna Foster, the Association's liaison person with COSCO, explained what COSCO stands for and does, and mentioned their Health and Wellness workshops of which some have been and will be held on campus. The Association makes donations to COSCO.
5. President’s Report
- Bob Wagner thanked the BCIT Administration and the Foundation for their support, and the Directors of the Association for a job well done. He mentioned the work with the Foundation, COSCO and the workshops, and the luncheons. He thanked MEDOC and PITMAR TOURS for continuing a financially rewarding relationship with the members and the Association.
The motion to accept the reports was seconded and carried.
G. ELECTION OF OFFICERS TO THE EXECUTIVE COUNCIL
Election of Officers to Executive
- Derek Knox mentioned the importance of a quorum and asked participating members to join the Directors standing for re-election. Karen Cresswell and Larry Dea answered the call; consequently the elected Officers of the Executive Board are:
Linda Bennett-Retei, Karl Boerner, Karen Cresswell, Larry Dea, Gordon Farrell, Donna Foster, Derek Knox, Randy Robinson, Murray Sharp, and Bob Wagner.
H. OTHER BUSINESS
- Dealt with were the introduction of the Board of Directors, the clash between the Spring Break and the AGM, and the need to elect a new President since Bob Wagner's term had ended.
- The meeting was adjourned at 11:15.
- The President of BCIT, Kathy Kinloch, the Vice-President of Advancement, Paul McCullough, and the Executive Director of the BCIT Foundation, Jackie Jacob, gave succinct reports concerning their area of expertise. For some of our members who started with the BC Vocational School Burnaby, then into PVI which became part of BCIT the change is absolutely overwhelming. The expenditures for new construction, upkeep, equipment, new courses, etc., would leave them just as surprised and convinced that BCIT is one of the best technical institutes of the nation.
- However, our members made contributions to help some of the less-fortunate students of the Institute: the total amount disbursed in bursaries since the inception of the Retirees' Association is $14,136.